Information for teachers and school support staff
This page is for teachers, SSOs and school leaders supporting a YEC member this year. It outlines some basic information about the role you can play to help them get the most from their involvement.
What are the benefits of being a YEC member?
- Since 1997, the YEC has provided young people with a voice and opportunities to take action on key environmental issues facing South Australia, with the aim to achieve a more environmentally sustainable future.
- The YEC is a joint initiative of the Department for Education and Green Adelaide and the activities are 100% funded, so there would be no direct cost to the school.
- YEC members will gain new networks, meet like-minded students from across the state, and receive ongoing support to plan and deliver their own environmental projects. This is a great opportunity to create change and make a difference.
- Participation in the Council would involves students taking part in sustainability forums, an overnight leadership camp and online discussion forums. Many of these events will take place during school hours in various locations in and around Adelaide. Parents/caregivers will be responsible for organising transport for the student to attend these events.
- Your role as a teacher is to be their support and mentor the student back at school with the sustainability project of their choice (presented at the end of year YEC event).
- Your student will get the most out of their experience in the YEC if they are able to stay in contact with you throughout the year to plan, implement and troubleshoot issues that arise with their project.
- In order for students to take part, they will need to have proven permission and support from their school. You will need to sign the application under School Endorsement.
Yes. At YEC events, students will be supervised by staff from the Green Adelaide Education team. All staff are experienced student mentors, have Department for Communities and Social Inclusion Working with Children clearances, and have completed First Aid and Child-safe Environments Training.
For more information, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org